Thursday, April 1, 2010

Stop talk, talk, talking that blah, blah, blah

Lately this girl-power, sexually-explicit (but underhandedly-so) music has become very attractive to me. It’s refreshing to hear such vulgar, but so intelligently hidden lyrics coming from women. It isn’t as surprising to hear it from rappers and the likes of other male artists – they do it all the time. But when it comes from a woman, it’s scandalous. I think it’s revolutionary. Ok, I am a feminist, and no I do not support the objectification of human beings (male or female). But like many women out there, I can appreciate a good-looking guy.

Anyways, the point being, though I don’t necessarily support the tit-for-tat (if men can do it, why shouldn’t women?), at the same time I feel kind of proud that at least these women Can. Yes, doing it comes with a stigma not usually attached to men who produced music that is just as racy, but that’s to be expected. I’m conflicted though, because I don’t always support the lyrics; I don’t think anyone should be spoken about as though they are objects, or pieces of meat. But in all honesty, at the same time, I am almost proud of these women.

But to go back to something I mentioned before…the messages are so well hidden sometimes. These women don’t have to swear as much, or use slang words (in reference to anatomy) as much as I’ve heard in some male renditions of this type of music. Rather, they euphemize a little bit and use terms such as disco stick and glove box. But then, here’s a problem with that. A while back I read a post on MLID, where a south-east asian mother was at a dandiya (type of traditional folk dance) party and she referred to the dandiya (the wooden stick used) as a disco stick. Because the lyrics hide the intended meaning so well, it might be hard for many people to catch on. This makes me wonder whether or not the parents of that 8 year old girl from Brazil knew that the woman (Lady Gaga) they trained their daughter to emulate was actually singing songs with ‘adult’ content. Perhaps, a lack of understanding led to their grave misjudgment in letting their daughter dress up as and sing songs by the famous Lady Gaga? Or perhaps they just don’t listen to the lyrics --- there are loads of people who just listen to music to listen, without listening to the words. Personally, I don’t get it. I listen to music because of the words…though some songs just have nice melodies/beats … but for the most part, I enjoy songs where the lyrics mean something. the songs don’t always have to have a great meaning (take the music I am referring to for example), but it’s nice to listen to advice or a story in a song… which is why I love love love Sufjan Stevens.

*Thought for the day: is it a sign that times are changing when women can be as explicit in public as men, without getting as much (or any) flak for it? And…by doing so, are we adopting an eye for an eye mentality – because objectification is wrong no matter what sex is doing it, right?

*Just a note: the song the little girl sang was Bad Romance, the lyrics are not as bad as the ones I am talking about here…but had you seen her “dancing” and crawling (yes, crawling) on the floor…in That outfit you would have done one of two things: thrown up or called child services…or both. Forget application processes for parents who want to adopt children – there should be a rigorous screening process for anyone who wants to procreate! Jeezzz!


No comments:

Post a Comment