Tuesday, April 27, 2010

An Ode To You

“Whoever has created
An abiding friendship,
Or has won
A true and loving wife,
All who can call at least one soul theirs,
Join in our song of praise” 
–“Ode to Joy” Beethoven’s 9 Symphony

I really want to thank all the special people in my life who have always been there for me, always stood by me no matter what and who have always been there in the stands with banners and foam fingers.

To those who held my hand as I took a step off my soapbox, to those who held my hand as I lifted myself off the floor.

To those who stood by even when they knew I was wrong, to those who gave me the confidence to admit that sometimes I’m right.

Thank you to those who dried my tears, and to those who decided to join in and cry with me.

Thank you to those who helped me grow, reminded me to take a minute and think about what “I” want.
Those who reminded me that I can do it, that I will get through it, that I will fix it and that I will come out on the other end and I will be standing.

To those who were brave enough to tell me the brutal, the harsh, the honest, no-nonsense truth.
To those who whispered to me that I have something on my face, or that my socks don’t match.

Thank you for answering your phones at 3am when I am in dire need of someone to listen to me plan an event in my head, listen to me rant, cry, edit a paper, or just sit silently on the other end so I don’t have to study alone.

Thank you for the good luck messages, the “get well soon”s and the “I love you”s.

Thank you for showing up, signing, donating, listening, clicking, pasting, holding, lifting, inviting, speaking, sitting, teaching -  even though you could have been doing something else instead.

Thank you for holding my hand, kissing my forehead, bringing me chocolate ice cream and texting me jokes to brighten my day.

If I don’t say this enough or if I haven’t said it yet – I appreciate you and all that you do. You all make such a difference in my life, you all have a special place in my heart.

Don’t you dare listen to the people who say love cannot make the world go ‘round. There is such power in this 4-letter, monosyllabic word.

Love is the gentle nudge behind everything I do, everything I believe I can accomplish and everything I strive for.

No comments:

Post a Comment