Wednesday, February 24, 2010

It was a 15 hour day

Today I had a brunch date with a friend; we planned to go to Tutti Fruitti after I finished work. So brunch was in essence, lunch. While crossing the street my friend saw a store – Morning Glory. I’ve lived in Montreal for a few years now, been to this mall a million times, and I work a 3-minute walk away. I have never been into this store, never even heard of it.

For her, it brought back memories of her childhood. This was one of a few western mainstream (though I wouldn’t really call it mainstream) stores in Nairobi, where she grew up. We walked in and it was fantastic! Huge eyes, cute smiles, puffy cheeks, foreign symbols and pastels! I love those powder blues and baby girl pinks. Charms and notebooks, pencil cases, Kleenex box covers, floor mats, mugs (with lids!), change purses, erasers with crater-holes ---they had it all! And I wanted it all! The inner, ubber girlie 13 year old came out today (and that has only happened twice after the age, and yes, it had to do with a super cute boy) and it was awesome! I bought a notebook I didn’t need, an eraser for Meghan, a blue clip for no reason, a change purse (yess!) that I will stare at intently. And a cute diary for my mom. I saw a million little trinkets I will go back for. My room will be full of Babu and Blue Bear stuff soon enough :)


My friend went a little crazier… I do believe she got $55 worth of random stuff. This is what nostalgia can do to a girl. Tell me you don’t miss your Hello Kitty backpack?!!

We chatted with the owners at the cash, the woman asked, “You like my store?” With smiles spreading across our faces we nodded. Apparently they’ve been around for 10 years – have I been living under a rock???!!? I plan on hitting up all the Hello Kitty stores I find in chinatown this weekend, it should be good. :)
*the notebook I got for myself … not very characteristic of the rest of the items in the store, but it called out to me…



















On another note. Tonight Joannie Rochette skated for Canada. Her mother recently passed away, yet she skated, not for a medal, but for her mother. I cannot begin to imagine what she has been going through, my thoughts, well-wishes and prayers are with her and her family tonight. I am in awe of Joannie’s strength, only a person with such immense courage would be able to do what she did tonight.


xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment