Friday, March 11, 2011

Everyday Heroes: South Asian Youth in Action

Yesterday’s [storytelling] scavenger hunt was a great experience. It had been the first time I had planned something like that, also the first time I had planned a legitimate activity to celebrate International Women’s Day. It was the 100th anniversary, but to me it felt like my first official. I was lucky to be able to spend a few hours hearing and sharing stories, discussing everything from gender roles to the ability to coexist as queer and south asian.

A few things stood out along the way. Firstly, there were only 2 men who participated. I would have liked to have more men at an event like this. I feel that it is important to have an open dialogue, not just within the south asian community in general, but even more specifically between female and male youth. Just last night a friend mentioned that it was mainly women he could engage in conversations with (conversations about politics, gender issues, theology, what have you). Why is that? Why is it so hard for me to get my male friends to engage in dialogue with about the work I do? About International Women’s Day? Is it apathy? Are people just generally satisfied with the status quo? The struggle for equality is not over, so why have we stopped talking about it?

Chatting with the women along the way was great; talking about everything from gender roles to contraceptives vs. safe-sex practices. The day was full of interesting tidbits, the flow of the sessions was perfect, conversations and dialogue were fluid and informative. I loved having the opportunity to share stories and spotlight moments of true courage with such a wonderful bunch of people.  A little cheering along the way. A silver wig? Dry-cleaning a sari? Oh good time, good times :)

Another part of the day that genuinely inspired and comforted me was during the last discussion about atypical career paths. A friend of mine has what we’ve labelled an atypical career. And hearing her go through the paths she took to end up where she is. Sometimes it is hard to hold on to the rationale I have for my life choices. It is hard to stay true to what I think I believe... how do you hang on to that level of self confidence when what you’re doing is seemingly unorthodox? It takes me to the idea of the looking glass self, sometimes I need people to tell me that I’m on the right track. If they see me as following the right path then it’s easier for me to hold on to that confidence in what I’m endeavouring to do. I know what that says about my self-confidence, but we all know that confidence has its ebbs and flows, mine just tends to wean in light of my ‘different’ career path.

But after yesterday’s session I got the boost I needed. Her discussion was truly inspiring. She talked about trusting yourself and following your feelings – no matter where they originate, head, heart, gut... just Go with it and Go for it. And sometimes good things happen, she called it serendipity. I am a wholehearted believer in serendipity. I think sometimes magic is in the air and good things happen because the cosmos align and you are in the right place at the right time. So smile. Be happy. Keep on trekking. Follow your heart. Is that enough sap for one day? Shall I add a slice of cheese to the platter? A dream that you wish will come true... Cinderell-y Cinderell-y

=) 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Naila.

    On a note about the atypical career path. Regardless of what society thinks and what it may force you to conform upon, its truly you who controls your own destiny. I don't mean to give you a philosophy and ethics lesson here. If you think your career path is not typical, maybe you can be the one that might change it for future women generations ya know? I'm really glad you're hosting and organizing such events. Its times like this I wish you lived here or vice versa so you can get some of my friends involved too :)

    Ahsan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ahsan. I agree, I want to ensure that what I do is not considered atypical, or unattainable, or what have you in the future.... it just happens that from time to time I question my path, and I feel that many people do, no matter what the path. Your career is a big deal and the opportunities you take or do not take along the way can sometimes have a monumental impact on your future. That's the scary part, but also the most exciting part.You see, part of me wants to be 6 again and enjoy juice boxes and playing in the park. Free, no worries, no real implications ... but then the other part of me lives for the adrenaline rush of making decisions that affect my future, and experiencing all these new things and just "Doing" and "Being"

    ReplyDelete