Monday, May 16, 2011

Take a step back, fake an out-of-body experience, peek in - what do you see?

Recently I’ve been placed in a situation where I'm “starting over” with someone in my life. There are some complex positives and negative – but when life gives you lemons...  And on that note, I realized something while I was watching tv with my parents tonight. Sometimes you need to go backwards before you move forwards, to make sure you haven't skipped over anything. Maybe even grab a re-do or two. This applies to any sort of relationship - and tonight I've been thinking really hard about all the things that I might have missed, the stories untold, the experiences left hanging. Do you have apologies and tears tucked away somewhere? How about that story you decided to hold off on because it was uber corny, and then forgot all about? Tonight, I'm urging you to revisit them.

This realization has really left me on edge, I keep thinking that important people in my life have only met a piecemeal version of who I really am. I've been racking my brain thinking about some of the things I've been missing, and sure, there are a few menial, mundane stories I could share with close friends. But there are also some crucial, this-is-what-makes-me-me tales to tell. I've always been interested in revisiting the beginnings of a relationship, thinking back to how I've met people and how a chance meeting can sometimes result in a lasting friendship. Tonight I'm wondering just how well I know people and just how well they know me. I'm usually guarded when it comes to my relationships and I take my sweet time letting people in, so I'm a great example of details left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment