Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Girl Cell

Last week a friend suggested I watch this short video of Eve Ensler and her theory about the 'girl cell'. Those were 20 minutes well spent. Since then, I have seen the video about 5 times - and I have stopped apologizing.

I have always been a firm believer in letting people know how you feel, letting it all out. Being angry, crying, yelling, stomping on the bubble wrap, all of that. But at the same time, I have often found myself apologizing for getting emotional, for being less than sturdy, for feeling and letting it be known that I feel. It sucks that it took another woman telling me that it's okay, for me to realize that it really is 'okay'. Why on earth should I apologize for something so guttural and natural and important? I am who I am, and I would be so much less if I didn't feel and hurt and get emotional - in layman's terms: PMS-ey.

It's sad that so many people use that term, PMS-ey. Not only do men use it, but women have adopted it. Fine, there are hormonal changes that affect your mood, but damn! Just because we menstruate, does not mean every word, action or feeling that you don't approve of (or agree with) is attributable to Mother Nature. Please don't give her all the credit, some of it is original thought, genuine, raw, personal compilation of mental umms and ahhs, electric shocks, chemical transactions, reuptake, tingles, ruptures…

And that was another episode of "Naila's Wandering Mind"


Here's the link if anyone is interested: http://www.ted.com/talks/eve_ensler_embrace_your_inner_girl.html

No comments:

Post a Comment